Hey, I hope you all doing good well! I’m a new user on this forum, the thing is that, I want to read philosophy to answer the questions that are draining my mind. But, whenever I hold a book and start reading, it feels like a big weight on my back and I can’t read or understand it properly, maybe because it’s in English, and unfortunately it’s not my first language nor I have fond of it. So, can you guys give me tips how to start reading philosophy actually, and how someone who is new should move to philosophical books and in which order to read them? It would really helpful, if you guys enlighten me from your experiences.
English is my first (and only) language, and I have the same problem.
Welcome to the forum!
There’s plenty of philosophy in non-philosophy books so perhaps start there to improve your English. Unfortunately philosophy can be very technical so that’s why I’d advise grasping the basics.
what I do find useful though even for philosophy is that certain ideas can be distilled in ordinary language rather than technical jargon … so…
Good luck and welcome
Look up ‘philosophical quotes’, and take in many; probably easier than a philosophy-book(there is lots of technical jargon which requires you read many books in order).
I am not particularly good at philosophy, and also struggle with some books, but some are quite easy to read, for example Albert Camus- but you omitted an important part, which is: Which questions you are looking answers for?
And what is it that you are interested in?
Then maybe we could recommend some books for you.
Philosophy is something that you do. You can pick one or two famous philosophers and study how they grapple with particular philosophical problems. Then try to do it on your own.
“Don’t try.” I mean just look around until something grabs you. For me an early book that just grabbed me was Durant’s The Story of Philosophy. I still have a copy and it’s still a great book. But maybe it is or isn’t the book for you.
When I was young, there was no YouTube. Now one can find surprisingly high quality philosophy vids. “Essential salts” is impressive, for instance. But this is all secondary to finding something that grabs you. I’d also not worry too much about whether it is labelled “philosophy.” I find psychology, sociology, history ( and so on) just as “philosophical” as “philosophy proper.”
I just hate to think of someone trying to “do their duty” or “force” themselves to care about philosophy. IMV, it should present itself as a deep pleasure, an adventure, albeit sometimes frustrating, because it will sometimes cut against what you take for granted. For that reason, it will ( sometimes ) be difficult. Too much of an incline will just force you to jump ship. So be patient. Don’t try to “understand Heidegger in 90 minutes.” There is no “I am finally there” moment but only a deepening richness as more and more connections are established, like a giant picture coming into focus, where everything is surprisingly connected in ways not initially noticed. It’s like moving to a new town. You never stop finding more. It “comes into focus” but never perfectly into focus. You never completely own or engulf it. This is good, because it never becomes dead and boring.
There are many useful and informative philosophy resources on the internet nowadays, particularly YouTube. I could give some, but they’re easy to find. And taking the subject in by listening rather than reading has advantages too.
What is your native language?
Hello baltipa.
I think the language has nothing to do.
I am also a non-native English speaker, just like you. I’m Spanish, and we have good books in philosophy in our language. Ortega y Gasset is an example.
The problem is the lack of pedagogical techniques. I sometimes believed that only Wittgenstein could comprehend his works (Tractatus). Then, I started to read works by other philosophy tutors about him. For example, “Wittgenstein” by David Pierce. It was everything clearer. Because the latter was more didactic.
So, my advice is to try to find an author or a book whose content is educational and pedagogical.
Steven Pinker is an excellent modern author. If you are interested in the philosophy of language, his works are great and clear.
Welcome to TPF.